The Back to the Future trilogy of movies is one of the most beloved film franchises in American cinema history. For anyone unfamiliar with this series, this link will tell you everything you need to know. The second movie of the trilogy famously featured the lead characters Marty McFly and Doc Brown traveling to the future year of 2015. Viewers are treated to a wild collection of futuristic conceits: flying cars, hoverboards, self-lacing sneakers, and the Chicago Cubs being baseball world series champions!
Since we now find ourselves in the year 2015, I think it would be interesting to consider the Back to the Future trilogy once again and imagine a fourth film in the series. Back to the Future IV would be set in the year 2045 and... the rest is up to you.
The challenge for my students is to compose a musical theme for:
Here are some guidelines:
- the completed piece needs to be a minimum of 12 measures long
- the format can be either a full two-staff piano score or a single-staff lead sheet (melody with chords above)
- incorporate some futuristic idea(s) in the sound or title of the theme, imagining what the year 2045 might hold
- the final draft needs to be presented to me in printed form and also emailed to me in pdf form
- rough draft needs to be presented to me at the first lesson in May
- final draft is due at the final lesson in May
If I have enough students participating in this project I will put together a booklet of all the themes as an end of the school year gift for every contributor. It might be fun to imagine what the storyline of a fourth Back to the Future movie would hold. If anyone has story ideas for this imaginary movie, share them with me in the next couple months and I will see if I can put together a "story synopsis" for the beginning of the book we're compiling.