Skip to main content

MTAC General Meeting in Castro Valley


We piano teachers pursue our chosen career for a variety of reasons, one of which is the autonomy the work offers. As self-employed business owners, we don't have to answer to anyone! Right? Well... this is not so when you are a member of the MTAC. This morning's meeting was mandatory. Then in the spring every active member is required to commit a full day working an assigned job for the CM Exams. Draconian punishments are threatened if either of these requirements are not met.

All this is fine. I recognize the pros and cons of being an MTAC member. I'm willing to put in the necessary time. 

The new president of our branch is very soft-spoken and this leads to many teachers being disrespectful and chatting incessantly while she tries to address the room. This behavior is so childish. Anyone who occupies a position on the board does so as a volunteer and receives minimal pay, if any. So the least we can do is give them our attention for a few minutes.

Some things are predictable. Halfway through these annual beginning-of-the-CM-cycle general meetings, a third of the teachers shuffle out the door. Meanwhile, I stay. I'm bored and feel trapped, but I stay. I listen as the branch scrapbook coordinator appeals (yet again) for help with her work. No one offers help. I presume that many, like me, don't see a particular need for an ongoing scrapbook. Maybe we're alike in our lack of sentimentally.

But here's one thing that's awesome: these meetings are held at the Castro Valley Center for the Performing Arts, which is a mere four blocks from my house. So there was no need for me to rev up my car to get there - I walked. An hour and a half later I was free to go home and mow my lawn.

Jesse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CM Ear Training Evaluation mp3's

Beethoven practicing ear training (circa 1820 ) 2004 Theory Test Ear Training Links: Prep Level Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6 Level 7 Level 8 Level 9 Advanced Level 2007 Theory Test Ear Training Links: Prep Level Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6 Level 7 Level 8 Level 9 Advanced Level 2008 Theory Test Ear Training Links: Prep Level Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6 Level 7 Level 8 Level 9 Advanced Level 2013 Theory Test Ear Training Links: Prep Level Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6 Level 7 Level 8 Level 9 Advanced Leve l Beethoven after upgrading his headphones. Note the happier expression!

2013 CM Theory Practice Test Answer Key

Happy puppy says: " You can find the answers to your CM 2013 Practice Test here. "

CM Theory Test Correcting @ Chabot College

This is an all-day endeavor. And I do get tired. And I am usually the only male in the room. If you answered these clues Jeopardy-style with, "What is Jesse correcting Certificate of Merit theory tests at Chabot College", then you are a perceptive soul. The Music Teachers Association of CA (MTAC) requires all of its active members to work a minimum of one full day each year to help run the Certificate of Merit program. The jobs range widely from studio host to theory room monitor to registration desk, and sundry others. This year is my 3rd year as an active MTAC member. My first year I helped run the registration desk. Both this year and last I worked among the theory test correcting ranks. The theory test correcting room is set up with a row of long tables. Teachers sit on each side of these tables all day long, rubbing elbows. Here's what we do: we have red pencils. We hold the red pencils in our hands. We mark answers if they are wrong. Fatigue sets in after a couple ...